Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2004 20:59:04 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Window Woes... Can someone help?

Okay, I've taken this apart. The fun part is that there is no coverage of this in the Bentley. Oh well.

The Power Windows consist of window regulator and a motor. In non-power window vanagons the window regulator is up mid center of the door and and is held in with two bolts. On the power window Vanagon's the window regulator is low down in the door (near the footwell in fact) and is attached to an electric motor.

In non-power windows, what controls the window going up and down, is the hand crank (which is part of the regulator) , which in turn moves a cable. In power windows the motive power is the electric motor which turns the regulator, which in turn moves the cable.

My problem was simple. The electric motor was stuck. But getting to it was no fun. The motor is attached with 2 -10 mm bolts to the regulator. The regulator is attached to the door frame by 1 -10 mm bolt and 2 -10 mm nuts. You have to detach the regulator from the door so that you can move it up and gain access to the 10 mm bolts holding the motor on.

Once you have done that you should be able to free up the motor. In my case once I put a wrench on the spindle and broke the stiction point, the motor was able to turn freely. Now I just have to put it back together again.

For Larry A's benefit, the way the circuit works is that there are TWO +12 circuits. Throw the switch in one direction and +12 is sent to the motor on one side (and it turns in that direction). Throw the switch in the other direction and +12 is sent to the motor on the other side (and it turns the other way.)

Electric motors are cool that way.

The stiction (sticking of the spindle) was probably caused by the waxy rust proofing stuff sprayed in to the door.