Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 May 2004 22:23:35 -0700
From:         Ben S <phlogiston@ISPWEST.COM>
Subject:      Wanted: 15" wheels and some info

well hopefully i can avoid incurring the wrath of the list for bringing up again this oft-discussed topic by saying that i really did spend at least 3 hours reading old archived threads before posting this message.

here is my situation. i have some really awesome nokaian hakkapalita snow tires that let me absolutely tear it up in the mountains in my 2wd westy. but now it is summer and i'd like some summer tires; might as well get some 15 inch rims as i've heard that it reduces the suceptability of the steering to cross-winds. then i can leave the snow tires on my 14's.... well i'm really not a "wheel guy" so aethetics really aren't that important to me. in fact, i'd like nothing more than to get a set of cheap, used 15" steel rims and spend all the saved money on rebuilding my engine this summer. but as far as i can tell, the only 15" steel options are: -jetta wheels: require machining out the center and aren't really up to the load anyway -go westy wheels: i called to ask about these and they said they are custom fabricated and thus cost almost as much as alloys -tiico wheels: also too expensive, they must custom fab them, too

i have also heard people mention using junkyard wheels from audis and mercedes, but these all seem to need spacers. what are the safety/reliability implications of using wheels with spacers? has anyone had a bad experience going this route? anyone know specifics of which other cars have the right 5x112 bolt patern and if any of them are as heavy as a well loaded westy?

is there anything i'm missing? i'd really like to not spend 4 or 5 hundred on nice looking rims when my van still needs a paint job. does anyone (especially in the CA bay area) have any kind of 15's for sale? it would be great to buy some used wheels without going through the hassle of shipping. i guess i can always just go down to volks cafe and pick up a set of the SA alloys, but that really seems a lot to spend for someone who thinks black steel wheels look fine on an old van.

thanks for humoring this tired old subject again everyone!!

Ben & Wendy ('86 Westy weekender)