Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 May 2004 15:28:56 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Head gaskets on 2.1 liter
Comments: To: jeff@vanagonparts.com

Jeff, That is a good question indeed, "if it works, dont fix it" is a very good rule. However, after having had both my 1.9 and this 89 2.1 leave me stranded several hundred miles from home because the metal gasket between the top of the cylinder and the aluminum head decided that it would begin to burp exhaust gas into the cooling system really has begun to get on my nerves a bit.

On this note it was very interesting to me that VW decided to offer free head retorqueing on all waterboxers at the dealer as preventative measure against the heads coming loose. It is my feeling we should all be retorqueing them every 40-50 k miles to keep the head gaskets sealed up tight.

One problem is once carbon gets in-between the metal gasket its over, and even retorquing will not re-seal the head.

My feeling is it is only metal on metal and there is no medium inbetween to hold a seal, if the heads loosen up even a tiny bit which they do seem to do, you may be able to prevent the gases from getting by if you have any type of high temp compound on the gasket. Its just added protection I am seeking with no apparent downside other than it may make it more difficult to take apart later which is fine with me if it does indeed increase the margin in which the head can stay sealed.

Its a weak spot.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: Jeffrey Schwaia To: Doug in Calif Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 3:22 PM Subject: RE: Head gaskets on 2.1 liter

Doug,

The stock setup will get you 150,000 miles if you keep up with your maintenance. Why experiment?

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Jeff

Well I am about to re-install the heads on my 89 Wolfy. I tore the engine down to the crank to inspect everything after it left me stranded near Bakersfield last August with blown head gasket.

Just a quick question to the group with regard to the head gasket itself.

Has anybody had any good or bad luck using a copper coat on the vw head gaskets?

The nitorious head gasket seems to be a very weak link in the waterboxer and I am looking for added sealing protection on the engine.

There is a copper coat product commonly used for headgaskets and there is another product that is similar to antiseize compound that is copper in nature.

My thinking is that I would like some material in-between the sealing surfaces of the head gasket itself that may help to form a better seal.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Doug