Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 2004 10:22:59 -0700
From:         "Stewart, Donna" <DStewart@REEDSMITH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Gas Mileage
Comments: To: Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>

This is my experience. Interestingly, my 1990 gets a little better mileage than the 87, but both are consistent. 20 mpg more or less in the 87, up to 22 for the 90. I am original owner of 87, bought 90 used 3 years ago. Neither are Westfalias. My dad's 1989 Westfalia ran consistently 18-19, sometimes 20 mpg. We both drive around 65-70mph on the highway.

Donna

Back when my Westy had its original engine (long time ago) I always marveled at the fact that it got the same mileage no matter how I drove it. Worst was around 19.5 - best was no better than 20.5. Some was at 85mph and some was dirt roads at 25.

Subsequent engines have varied more, but no better than 22 or worse than 17 (time to fix something!).

Manual tranny, BTW.

Karl Wolz

Driving habits very much effect MPG. When I was forced to drive around 55 MPG because of traffic on one tank of gas, my 85 Westy got 20 MPG. Other times it gets anywhere from 13.5 - 18 from regular driving with 16 being average. This demonstrates the difference in results from driving habits.

My Parent's 1985 V8 Caprice would regularly get 25 MPG on highway trips.

Dana 85 Westy 01 Beetle TDI 04 Mini Cooper