Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 May 2004 19:04:54 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch replacement
Comments: To: DStewart@REEDSMITH.COM

In a message dated 5/21/2004 3:24:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time, DStewart@REEDSMITH.COM writes:

> What's the price range for this type of work by a shop? I'm told my clutch > needs replacing on my 1987 - thanks for any info. >

As far as clutches go it's not too bad. When I last did it a year ago I think even the VW dealer only got around $500.. And while that's not cheap exactly clutches on the Golf and or VW Fox get about $500 from a regular mechanic--that is not a VW dealer. I'd hate to see what VW charges for the Golf. A "regular" mechanic should charge between $350 and $450 I'd say. Mine was $350 a year ago.

I'd strongly recommend finding a Vanagon expert shop--not just a run of the mill mechanic willing to work on any make vehicle from Chevrolet to Yugo. The Vanangon can be fickle you know. Depending on where you are someone on the list can most likely recommend a mechanic.

Also, generally on the clutch replacement you will get a new clutch plate, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. Make sure you get all these. And I'd recommend the mechanic replace the needle bearing that the transmission shaft rides on which is in the flywheel. This needle bearing is easy to replace while the transmission is out and that's a good idea for routine maintanance. Otherwise you get the new clutch, a few months later it's possible the needle bearing goes and you've got to remove the transmission to get to it $$$ and that costs a lot more than the $20 bearing.

I paid $350 for my clutch replacement at Fast German Auto in Santa Ana, CA and the experience was a HORROR. the Kid behind the counter said, "Replace the needle bearing? Why? A needle bearing is the strongest bearing there is. They never need replacing."

When I suggested he let me know about the cost of replacing transmission mount--me knowing it needed replacement was it was torn. He said, "Why? That mount never needs replacing."

Since I had spoken to another guy there earlier when I made the appointment I figured they do all the work I had spoken about when I made the appointment, and this know-it-all kid at the desk was probably harmless. Turns out the kid at the desk was one of the owners. I only found out when after the work was done I contacted the Better Business Bureau and the Dept. of Consumer Affairs who gave me the owners name.

Oh, why did I contact the BBB and Consumer Affairs? Because when I picked up my bus the interior had pools of brake fluid, my insturment pod was cracked and flooded with fluid, the headlight switch was busted into and through the hole in the dash pod, the interior both rear and driver's compartment was decorated with globs of grease AND the owners of Fast German said they had noting to do with any of it. That the Bus must have been that way when I dropped it off.

After I got in touch with authorities they agreed to send me a new insturment pod housing, and I took the liberty to clean the brake fluid from the interior and replace the pod myself. A week later I noticed they hadn't even reconnected the reverse light switch after removing the transmission. This final insult would have been forgiveable had all the previous not happened--the worst of which was denying they did the damage, and the mechanic even siad to me "I was never by the dashboard. I'd have no reason to be."

I said, "What about to fill the brake fluid reservoir?" (which also served the clutch master and slave cylinder.)

Mechanic, "Oh yeah. I guess I was in there. But that's designed to overflow."

"designed to overflow"? Hmm.

This reminds me: we should think about taking Fast German off the list of reliable mechanics.

Best Jeff 83.5 Westfalia LA,CA