Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 May 2004 23:13:15 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Price of too many vehicles

So today, being a lovely hot day, with the 17 year cicadas booming loudly enough to wake me from a solid night's sleep, I decided to finally get around to the other maintenance items on my Vanagons.

First off was to replace the skylight I had scraped up with a new one I got from The Bus Depot. Hmm, interesting thing here was that the original(!?) was thicker, but not two layered. it also was tinted a little less than the replacement. After nearly burning my naked feet on the asphalt (did I mention it was blazing hot?) I finally put shoes on to complete the job (after copious amounts of fluid replacements.) A nice clear skylight.

Then I cleaned the dust off the engine (finally got that done 2 weeks after Syncro de Mayo Este) and tuned up the AC. Then I vacuumed the rug and finished cleaning the rest of the little bits of debris out of the Westy.

Then I got out my hammer and started tweaking a bump at the rear hatch (something I inherited from the previous owner). It was an odd bump in that it was in the hatch OPENING, not the actual hatch. Not a big deal...until I ran on the dusty fireroads of the GeorgeWashington National Forest and sucked in a bunch of dust through that minor little bump. It's much better now.

Next was the GoldBrick. Time to change the oil on this Syncro. Got down with my trusty 13mm socket and looked up at an unfamiliar underside. Blimey. I've been working on the Westy so much recently I'd forgotten I had aTiico engine in the GoldBrick. Okay, back to the tool bin to get a 17mm wrench for the Tiico's oil drain plug.

Then I got some engine cleaner and cleaned up some of my boo-boos of the past, making for a nice clean engine compartment. Tweaked the AC here a bit too (topping off the HC-12a freon that I use) so that the AC is nice and cold. Added a bit of water (have to change the coolant another weekend).

One more service call on the Westy (to fix a torn CV boot), and it will be ready for the next outing (right in time for Memorial Day. )