Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 May 2004 09:16:14 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gas Mileage Problem
Comments: To: Jason Kirk <Gojira@ADELPHIA.NET>

-----Original Message----- From: Jason Kirk <Gojira@ADELPHIA.NET> Sent: May 23, 2004 3:20 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Gas Mileage Problem

By they way does anyone know the best place to get a new fuel filter? My local chain store wants $28 (US) for one.

Jason Kirk 87 Vanagon Weekender ************************ Bus Depot usually's the place for the best price, but it depends on the part number you use to order it:

Original VW Number: 251 201 511A $16.77 Bosch Long 0450 905 030 $12.41 Bosch Short 71028 $9.95

All numbers above are the same thing! One must be careful when ordering or you will pay too much. Frankly, I think it's too confusing to the average Vanagon customer. One Filter - One Source (usually) - One Price. Keep it simple, please.

BTW, the 251 201 511A was superseded a few years back to 1H0 201 511 which Ron has on his site for $17.31 - this really adds to the confusion. Well not really - this is a Bosch Short 71056 which is a tad bit difference in size to the Bosch 0450 905 030 - but VW says it fits (guess ya gotta change the band clamp).

Ron - if you're out there, why the massive difference in price when they all (except the 1H0 filter) are Bosch's 0450 905 030/71028 (and what's the Mahle Number you indicate for the 71028)?

To sum it up, Bus Depot is still cheaper than the chain stores which sell the above filters under Fram, Wix, etc., and I have used them all with no problems, but I prefer the original Bosch.

Just my 4.5 cents worth.

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" http://www.oldvolkshome.com