Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 2004 06:39:35 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: antifreeze from diesel engine block

This is cheap and easy to fix.

You've blown a freeze plug, which are made into most blocks as a "pressure valve" to guard against cracking the block if the coolant freezes.

Drain the coolant. Drill a hole in the freeze plug (I'd replace all of them) large enough to get a large screwdriver in it and pry it out.

Clean the rim of the hole, Maybe with a dremel tool with a wire brush that will get into where the new part will seat.

Get new freeze plugs.

Put permatex in the seat in the block and drop in a part, convex side out *IMPORTANT*.

With a ball peen hammer, make a substantial dent to expand the plug in the hole.

Wait til next day for the permatex to harden. Start up and watch for signs that your head might be bad or you might have some other cooling system damage. Freeze plugs sometimes fail on their own, but yours could have failed because of heat from some other problem.

Jim