Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 2004 10:36:00 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: fixing low oil pressure
Comments: To: Antaki <wrack@COMCAST.NET>

the rods can be unbolted from the crank and with coat hangers you can support the cap while you remove the rod and use the coat hanger to reinstall the cap and then the rod. measuring the crank would be hard I have some V block type checker that is designed for this job other than that I don't know of any tool that would fit in the block and give you a real measurement. I would see what the rod bearings look like if they show anything more than a copper color then you should not just hang rods on the old crank. The 2.1 cranks measure up OK most of the time I would say 90% plus so chances are replacing the rods and bearings would work. The problem is that you cant just throw bearings in or reuse the bolts the big end of the rods need to be sized AND the bolts need to be changed. I take the extra steps and install the bearings and measure the difference between the crank and the bearings. I stock rebuilt rods with new non stretch type bolts the current pricing is $140

going faster miles an hour with the radio on I remain Bob Donalds http://www.bostonengine.com all rights reserved

----- Original Message ----- From: "Antaki" <wrack@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 11:29 PM Subject: Re: fixing low oil pressure