Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 May 2004 12:44:31 -0600
From:         Andrew Fox <afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon vs Alternative Vehicles

Tim and Doug,

You are both wrong about the gas mileage of full size american vans. It is a common misconception that a 4000 pound vanagon with a 2.1L engine will get better gas mileage than a NEW 6000 pound chevy with a 4+ liter v-6 or v-8. The fact of the matter is that modern engine technology now provides twice the horsepower and displacement at the same fuel efficeny compared to the poorly designed waterboxer engine. If you dont believe me do some investigations yourself at www.fueleconomy.gov, granted the numbers here aren't exactly what you'll get on the highway but they provide a very good indicator for comparison. A 2.1 L vanagon is listed at 19 MPG highway and 18 city, many full size 2004 american vans are listed at 20 MPG highway and 16-18 city with the smallest engines available being 4.3 liter V-6's, and vehicle weights over 6000 pounds.

You are both right about the handling aspects of these vans, they suck compared to the vanagon, and yes the vanagon is better in the snow, in short they are less fun to drive IMHO. I owned an 86 Vanagon Westy from 2000 - 2003 and deemed it impractical for travelling outside of tow range. I now own a 98 Ford E-150 van which i am customizing with the westfalia interior from an 87 vanagon. I would have rather bought a gtrv or sportsmobile but the cost is too high like you pointed out. A nicely equipped new GTRV runs about 36K BTW which is'nt bad when you compare it to other big new vehicles (SUV's, Eurovan's, etc).

Andrew