Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 May 2004 10:25:54 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: header replacement 025251172r for 87 vanagon

Ron and sales, My eyes must be playing tricks again as I thought I read $179 but it is a bargain @ $109.95. So how much is shipping, slow ground shipping? and do you know any tricks to make the application less painfull. I can't imagine this is going to slide right into place. I have never had that kind of luck on any exhaust system. I hate working on exhaust systems. thanks for the heads up on the actual part being danish, the danish muffler works great, gary --- The Bus Depot <vanagon@busdepot.com> wrote: > > I will be needing to replace my rear header soon. > > The part is a pricey beast even at busdepot. > > Thepartsbin seems like a better deal when you > factor > > free shipping costs. Busdepot suggests that > > 025251172r has been replaced with the letter P. > Has > > anyone any less expensive aftermarket products > that > > will fit but not pinch the pocket. > > > Actually you misread my site. The P has been > superceded to an R, not the > other way around. So you indeed need an 025251172R. > I sell it for > $104.45 with your listmember discount - 43% off of > thepartsbin's price > of $184.80. So their "free shipping" is actually > costing you a whopping > $80.00. I sure hope they're hand delivering it for > that price. :-) > > As for manufacturers, there are two - > Leistritz/Germany and > Jopex/Denmark (also known as JP or Dansk). The VW > part was made by > Leistritz at one time but I couldn't say if this is > still the case. VW > also sources some exhaust from Jopex, so it could be > either. In fact I > haven't seen any new Leistritz ones in a long time, > so I don't even know > if they're making them anymore. None of my suppliers > carry them anymore. > > > This leaves Jopex. Jopex makes the part in a regular > mild steel version > and a stainless steel version. The above is the > regular one. Most people > don't sell the stainless one at all (as Jopex does > not export it to the > U.S.) but we import it ourselves. It's $171 (part # > 025251172RS). I > have compared the Jopex and Leistrtitz pipes side by > side and the fit is > exactly the same. (This doesn't mean that it will > necessarily be easy to > fit. It can be a challenge fitting a new pipe to an > old exhaust system > that has been bent and tweaked over the years, and > tends to "spring > apart" as soon as you unbolt it.) > Quality/reliability on the Jopex has > also been good. In fact I have them on my own '89 > Westy. (When they > fail, it's often due to stress cracking, just as > with the original ones; > inherent in the design of the exhaust system, I > suspect.) > > So the bottom line is, no matter where you buy it, > you're almost certain > to receive a Jopex pipe, since they are the primary > (if not only) > supplier of this part worldwide. > > As for how soon you should replace it, yes it will > eventually crack more > and get loud. Maybe not immediately, but needless to > say you're on > borrowed time. If the pipe starts to leak badly it > can cause a bad > running condition due to the fact that your oxygen > sensor (which is > "downstream" of it) will not be getting a correct > reading (thus throwing > off your fuel injection system). > > - Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot, Inc. > www.busdepot.com > (215) 234-VWVW > > _____________________________________________ > Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT > > >