Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 May 2004 07:31:48 -0400
From:         Michael Rule <mikerule@UFL.EDU>
Subject:      no VW sports cars?

VW never made a sports car? Scirocco (I had 2), Corrado spring to mind immediately, not to mention GTI's... of course, we aren't talking Testarossa-level units- but fun, nimble and quick fits my easy-going sportscar definition!

On Fri May 28 06:25:28 EDT 2004, Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> wrote:

>> Dont you people care about gas mileage? The new subaru's are >> only getting >> in the low to mid 20's, barley better than the small SUVs? I >> have a 92 >> legacy wagon AWD, gets over 30 mpg, gutless yet, but cheap to >> drive and >> bulletproof. I for one am very disappointed that subaru has >> gone from >> producing fuel efficent cars for the masses to satisfying the >> needs of the >> few with the deep pockets > > That's trhe exact opposite of everything I have heard. The older > EJ > engines were never noted for economy, and the newer ones are > considerably better. > >> VW is selling overpriced made in mexico yuppy >> cars, and overpriced SUVs and sportcars > > VW doesn't and never has made a sportscar. > >> for those with more money than >> brains. The practical car market is going to the koreans (kia's >> and >> hyndai's). > > Koreans for some reason seem to like large cars with small > engines. > >> Toyota and Honda saw the same >> things, and created the Acura and Lexus brands to accomodate the >> market > trend. > > Acura is a name Honda chose to sell certain of its cars in the > North > American market. The rest of the world gets them with Honda > badges, > as it should be. > >> It's a bit ironic actually, do you remember the BRAT, the four >> seater >> "pickup"? I wanted one as a teen-ager. Subaru has always >> exploited the >> loopholes... > > Ah, the Leone pickup, also sold as Brumby in Australia. Still see > the > odd one around. > -- > Andrew Grebneff > Dunedin > New Zealand > <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> > Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut > >

Michael Rule UFL / UFSCC Transgenic Core Facility CB-033 352.392.4210 http://transgenics.ufscc.ufl.edu

The trick is to listen to what the experiments tell you - and to not be fooled by the myths of authorities -- Constantine Spyropoulos (1928-1984)