Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 May 2004 01:14:56 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: no VW sports cars?

>VW never made a sports car? Scirocco (I had 2), Corrado spring >to mind immediately, not to mention GTI's... of course, we aren't >talking Testarossa-level units- but fun, nimble and quick fits my >easy-going sportscar definition!

>The Brazilian Puma comes to mind.

>They did and it was called 914, there was the Karmann Ghia before then >(don't laugh - that was back when an MG was considered a sports car too), >GTI was sporty and fun, Scirocco had you sitting on the floor like a >sports car and it would out-handle many, and then there was the Corrado (I >had one nad it ran like a screaming banshee) with wonderful high-speed >composure, and great brakes. > >As for the current crop of VWs, you'd have to drive the R32 to appreciate >it. I had the opportunity to sample one and it was a mind-boggling >experience. > >In the future there will be the Concept C which certainly looks like a >4-seat sports car >http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_807.shtml > > >So while VW never made a narrow-focus fire-breating monster, they >certainly made more sensible products which could be enjoyed by a >sports-car enthusiast.

None of those are sportscars. The Scirocco, Corrado, Golf GTi were sporty but not sportscars! The Karmann Ghias (Types 1 & 3) were "personal" coupes, not sporty in the least, and not intended to be. The Puma... gah!

>I caught this thread late, so if this is covered ground delete on, but isn't >the audi supposed to handle the sport car manifestations of vw, and one of >the criticisms of vw of late is that the lower end audi lines are competing >with vws? If vw offers a sport car, they'll be competing with themselves in >another venue, unless they can reestablish that audi is the luxury brand.

The Audi TT is arguably a sportscar, but not one which handles (typical Audi excessive understeer). VW's only sportscars are Bugattis & Lamborghinis. And DON'T try to tell me the Bentley Arnage Turbo is a sportscar! -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut