Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 May 2004 16:50:12 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: no VW sports cars?
Comments: To: gull@gull.us

Let's see now. The 914 was sold, serviced and warranted by Porsche dealers in the United States. In 1970 and part of 1971 you could order your Porsche 914 with the same 2.0 liter 6-cylinder engine that the 911 had at that time. The entire front suspension assembly (torsion bars, beams, sway bars, hubs, etc.) was from the Porsche 911 of that era. In fact, you can directly bolt up the front suspension assembly from as late a model 911 as 1988, and it will go directly into your Porsche 914.

If you take a look at PET, which is Porsche's version of ETKA (literally, it comes from the same vendor, just different parts and different cars), and which is used by every authorized Porsche dealer in the U.S. today, you will see that the 914 is clearly present in both 4- and 6-cylinder forms. Porsche 914 parts can still be purchased from your authorized Porsche dealer.

Finally, Porsche took great pride in racing their Porsche 914s to some amazing victories in both Europe and North America. These were factory backed efforts. And quite successful efforts I might add.

If a few insecure 911 owners can't face the reality that a Porsche 914 is a Porsche, whose problem is it?

I would suggest that anyone who is still confused on this matter read the book "Porsche: Excellence Was Expected." That should clear everything up nicely for you.

Now don't even get me started on what company actually designed the 914.

As an aside, inside the air-cooled community I find it quite ironic that when you put a type 4 engine in a Porsche 914, some snobs are quick to call it a Volkswagen. If you take that same type 4 engine (I know, the heads are slightly different) and put it in a Bay Window bus, the proud owner of the bus will brag about his Porsche motor.

Cheers, Bruce motorbruce