Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 May 2004 21:19:48 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Camping at Wally Marts and stealth camping in general.
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

I had a kayaking bud years ago that not only parked in the hotel lot, but used the pool and shower facilities at will. Hot tub? Continental breakfast? what are the odds the same staff will work the front desk the morning of and the night before? And they sure as heck going to ask you what room you're staying in!! There's prolly some "defrauding an innkeeper" statute that is being violated, but what's PR worth these days?

I didn't partake of the activities, but there's prolly a website somewhere spelling out what you can and can't get away with.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel

At 06:49 PM 5/28/2004, Doug in Calif wrote: > I will share what may or may not be much of a secret with my fellow > vanagon community. >Please if it IS a secret keep it under your pop top. > >While I was living out of my car several decades ago while looking for a >job in Southern California. >I slept in my 4wd international scout at the beach parking lot for a >couple nights, that turned out to be a big mistake. >Major freaks walking around. Next tried a quiet residential area but you >tend to stick out allot. >I was using my gym membership early AMs to shower clean up and get a >workout in many of which were near large hotels. > >I found I could slip into a nice hotel parking lot and not really be >noticed for a night. >No freaks, no cops, nobody telling me I cant park here, it was what I >ended up using for the remainder of the trip. > >Obviously you may not want to pop your roof while doing this. > >Cheers, > >Doug > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: Lee Kouns > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 4:14 PM > Subject: Re: Camping at Wally Marts > > > My wife and I have stayed at many Wal Marts on our travels around the > West. We always ask the manager if sleeping overnight in our van is OK. > On those rare occasions it was not allowed, a local law prohibited > sleeping in vehicles when the parking lot was not owned by Wal Mart. > Usually we find this type of law in places that get lots of > tourists--such as beach cities. In those situations there are usually > signs to let you know. Sometimes we have called the store in advance to > see if an overnight stay is allowed. > We think that it is very nice of Wal Mart to allow the stays. We always > park in the areas they suggest and leave our area at least as clean as > we found it. > Lee Kouns