Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 23 May 2004 13:04:32 -0600
From:         "Steve@EuroCampers.com" <Steve@EUROCAMPERS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Eurovan; to buy or not to buy...
Comments: To: zolo <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>

on 5/22/04 8:34 PM, zolo at zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any reason to buy or not to buy a Eurovan. I have > heard some things and I would like to know "from the mouth of the horse" which > ones and why not to buy. > Any of you can give me some info? > Zoltan

You will find a lot of folks trashing the EuroVans on this list.

You should be able to get better opinions based on real world experience. Of course those that currently own a EuroVan are biased, so search the archives there for past members that have had problems.

My personal experience with 2 1993 EuroVans was excellent. In fact the first MV I owned went 166K before an engine fire. I suspect the fuel lines, which is now a recall on all 1993 EuroVan models.

My current van is a '93 Weekender, with 156K on it. It is still going strong. This weekend I am changing brake pads/shoes, automatic transmission fluid, final drive gear oil, and engine oil. I find it very easy to work on.

Early EuroVans seem to suffer some of the same problems that the later Vanagons did. A few of these are:

Bad radiator fan resistors cracked plastic engine coolant flanges, and or pipes body seam rust

Some of the early 1993 models have piston slap. This makes the engine sound like a diesel on cold start ups, but usually goes away after a few minutes.

Some say the air conditioning and automatic transmissions are a weak point. I've never had problems with either. I would even go as far as saying the automatics last longer and give you less problems than the 5 speed manual.

The 1993 models have bad solder joints connecting the voltage regulator to the instrument cluster board. This is an easy fix by touching up those connections with a soldering iron.

You didn't mention if you were looking for a newer or older model? Camper, or Weekender, MV, GLS, GL or CL? There may still be a few 2003 models at some dealers, but VW stopped production on the VWT4 in Germany last summer.

The 1997 - on models have the VR6 engine and are all automatics. In 2001, VW upped the horse power to 201. All 1997-2003 will be automatics. They seem to be very reliable, but I have heard of some air conditioning and automatic transmission problems, though I think they are rare.

I would never pay much for a used VW van that I didn't know the complete history on.

-- Steve Lashley SKL Enterprises Inc. http://EuroCampers.com PO Box 401 7A Industrial Drive Pacific MO 63069 636-271-0567 voice 636-257-2067 fax 888-797-5994 - phone orders