Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 May 2004 14:34:16 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: shop near yellowstone MT?
Comments: To: afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU

In a message dated 5/30/2004 9:44:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time, afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU writes:

> know of a vanagon shop or other good repair shop in the yellowstone > area of montana? I have a friend with an 86 gold westy who's there now > and is dealing with electrical gremlins

A common problem with the electrical system is the overloaded fuse which powers the wipers and the heater blower motor. If your friend was operating both the heater fan and the wipers at the same time it can lead to overheating of the wires. ALso sometimes--especially if the heating blower fan is noisy or squeeky--the heater blower fan is going, going, and if it gets to gone it can melt the wires.

Is is possible some fuses have blown or has theat already been checked? If the fuses are OK, A temporary fix could be to look at the wires at the fuse box and replace those that have melted and NOT use the heater blower until it can be replaced. And going back, if it is just fuses blown and the heater blower is suspect I would suggest not using the heater blower until it is checked out.

Remember that melted wires can lead to a fire so any repairs should be taken with care--and any elecrtical gremlins of this sort--the burning wire sort--should be repaired ASAP to avoid a possible fire.

Sorry I don't know of a Vanagon savvy shop in that area. I seem to remember here is a repair garage in Yellowstone near Bridge Bay or thereabouts. I have no experiance with the shop, but if the shop seems incapable of working on a Vanangon which is a possibility perhaps they know of a shop "nearby"--which can't be all that nearby with the size of Yellowstone.

Best Jeff 83.5 Westfalia LA,CA

Best- Jeff 83.5 Westfalia LA,CA