Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 May 2004 06:04:33 -0400
From:         "Daniel L. Katz" <katzd54@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: safe speeds, underpowered engines,
              Vanagon diesel mortality (LVC, some Friday content)

alex:

two different safety aspects going on.

the potential for mayhem increases with the square of speed, so collisions are much more destructive at higher speeds. also, time to react goes approximately inversely with speed. these are examples of mechanical things, and there aren't any possible arguments to the contrary.

unrelated to the above, sometimes driving faster to more or less blend in with the flow of traffic may be safer from the standpoint of not creating accident prone situations.

also, the so-called energy crisis is back, permanently until the end of the oil and the industrial age in 30 - 50 years, and so it doesn't make any difference how fast people drive, or how big the engines are. there is no substitute for conventional petroleum as a primary energy source, and any saving through conservation today will be used up shortly in the struggle to pump the oil as fast as possible from smaller and ever more depleted wells. this problem is driven by the population explosion, economic growth and the work ethic, and cannot be solved through technical means.

dan