Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 May 2004 15:15:24 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Install of catalytic converter on 90 multivan
Comments: To: clark10006@COX.NET

In a message dated 5/29/2004 8:06:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time, clark10006@COX.NET writes:

> . It doesn't seem that it should be > complicated.

I changed my catalitic converter about a year ago on my 83.5 watercooled. Penetrating oil like you mentioned is a good idea. And if it works, great. I ended up cutting through the cat bolts with a hacksaw. And while this is a little time consuming it's not difficult. Wear goggles to protect your eyes from all the shavings. I think the advice would be if you have to cut cut the bolts through on the side of the cat so as not to damage the muffler flange or the exhaust pipe flange. This just allows the bolts to seat better.

Penetrating oil definately helps in a few installments over a few day on removing the 02 sensor.

If your aftermarket Cat looks like the one I installed it has an extra heat sheild on sone side. Listees decided that heat sheild should go toward the water pump and keep at least some heat away from the water pump. The aftermarket CAt I installed had adjustable flange mounts that allowed it to be mounted in many application and you could basically mount it on the bus in any of a 360 degree rotation dictating the position of the heat sheild. (I think the genuine VWOA Cat was $300 or $400 or maybe even $500--I just remember it being absurdly high even with the discount from Rennie then at Torrance VW now at Pacific VW)

I also needed washers on each end of the mounting bolts for the cat to keep the bolt head and nuts from wanting to slip into the slightly large mounting holes in the Cat flanges. I used stainless steel washers to adjust the hole to a smaller size. The I used bolts, lockwashers, and nuts. In my opinion bolts, lockwashers, and nuts should NOT be stainless steele. I like the idea of stainless steele bolts, but my experience (and probably anyone's who knows better) is that on the exhaust system stainless steele bolts tend to eventually loosen up from the vibration. I guess the softer steel or amalgamated or whatever they're made of kind of benefit from their softer qualities that allow them to bond to the nuts or rust to the nuts or themselves or whatever...That stainless is hard enough to work itself loose.

Another tip is since you'll undoubtedly move the muffler a bit-- and again those flanges on the Cat don;t dictate exactly where in the rotation to mount the muffler-- I think a good rule of thumb is to have the tail pipe itself slighty--ever so slightly -- tipped toward the ground to allow moisture from rain and condensation to find its way out of the tailpipe rather than collecting in it promoting rust.

Speaking of rust does anyone sell ceramic coated tailpipes as my experience is any new tailpipe gets an outer couting of rust in about a week and continues to last forever looking like crap. I think the solution I'm speaking of is ceramic coated, but whatever it is it kind of takes a shiney hammered gray pinted look. I'm going to post this last question again under a separate subject line as well.

Best Jeff 83.5 Westfalia LA,CA