Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:02:26 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Starter or battery?

If a jump starts a car, and the negative cable from the 2nd car, battery is attached to the frame of the 1st car, not the battery, as it should be, it is not necessarily the battery of the 1st car that is bad, as it could be a bad ground wire or ground wire connection from the 1st car's battery.

But it is a good indication that it is not the starter.

BTDT, long story about a shop selling my then "not quite ex wife" a bunch of stuff while I was out of town, it failing again and then me trouble shooting it for them and finding the bad ground wire while in their shop. I told her it wasn't the starter because it would start when jumped, she told them, but they didn't listen, for some reason, like that the info was coming from a woman, and/or that the guy hearing it wasn't sharp enough to understand and then check, or was it that simply replacing a bad ground wire doesn't make much money?). (That is the short version.)

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL 85 Westy Weekender 84 Vanagon, original owner, soon to be retired, just too many problems

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.