Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:40:05 -0500
From:         Edward Morrell <Edward_Morrell@PEOPLESOFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic oils in the vanagon

A couple more thoughts on this, and a question, please:

1. My own experience- I have had lifters that were continually noisy with conventional oil, that were quiet with synthetic, and then were noisy again with conventional. Fair enough, the lifters might need replacing, but does this not indicate superior lubrication?

2. On initial start up, particularly in cold weather, the engine is noticeably noisier for a short time (perhaps 2-3 seconds) with conventional oil. I assumed this was due to a superior coating ability of the synthetic. There has been much published about the disproportionate wear factor that occurs during engine warm-up.

Also, Synthetic can leak through gaskets that conventional might not (my '75 911 leaks a ton).

My question is this:

There have been multiple postings over the years regarding oil filtration systems capable of filtering out smaller and smaller particles, which in theory allow for very high miles of use from synthetics, assuming no viscosity break-down. I maintain five actively driven cars, and would not want to install a new filter system on each. Has anyone used or heard of a system for cleaning oil removed from an engine (at home, of course)? Seems like pouring old synthetic oil into an appropriate filter and letting it drip through even for several weeks.... then reuse the cleaned oil; might be a workable approach. I like the idea of changing oil out of the wasserboxer every few thousand miles, but frankly, with synthetic, it can easily add 5 cents per mile to operating costs, which adds up quickly.

Thanks much,

Ed Morrell 91 Carat 51K 90 Carat 147K 89 Carat 163K, dead.