Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Jun 2004 14:20:10 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@HEWITT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Poptop Seal adhesive
Comments: To: Jason Pufahl <jasonpufahl@HOTMAIL.COM>

>Hello all... > >I ordered the poptop rubber seals for both the poptop and luggage rack for my '86 westy, but it didn't come with >an adhesive. I didn't really occur to me that it wouldn't. Anyway....does anyone have any recommendations for >what I should use? > >Also, tips from anyone that has done this would be great...I am not looking forward to it so any job simplifying >advice is appreciated. > >Thanks, >Jason

Hi Jason ---- some insructions I used to have posted on a webpage.

Cheers, Doug

CHANGING THE POPTOP SEALS

I bought the 'complete' kit from the BusDepot. There are three seals; main poptop, front edge of poptop and luggage rack.The most important tool involved is a rubber mallet --- buy one if you don't have one.

Main seal:

Remove the old seal and prep the edge to your satisfaction. The new seal just slips on (held by its internal clip) so you want the edge clean, but you don't have to make it spotless and perfectly smooth.Raise the poptop. Find the mid-pont of your new seal and mark it lightly. Now find the mid-point of the back edge of the poptop and mark it. The seal is generously long but may as well be careful. Put your midpoint marks together and start tapping the seal onto the poptop edge with the rubber mallet (the 'bulb' goes in incidentally).This is easy and fun.....pick a direction and go for it. When you get to the funny curves at the back corners you'll find that a piece of wood a couple of feet long will hook into the poptop hinge and make a fine lever to help you push the seal on the back corners. Everywhere else it's straight and easy going with the rubber mallet. Leave the front ends hanging about a foot back from the front corners until you get ALL three seals on. You'll want to see them all together before you decide how to do the final trim.

Front seal: (Apparently Ron will ship either of two front seals, one that glues on and one that clips on. I had the glue-on version. If you have the one with the internal clip grab your rubber mallet and have at it. Otherwise..........clean and prep your edge --- this one's glued on (no internal clip) so you'll want to take a little more care with prep. I used a foot long chunk of wood to prop up the poptop at a comfortable working height for someone (me) sitting in the luggage rack. Use your choice of adhesive. I used Weldbond white glue because I'm familiar with it and it kept the (formerly) flapping ends of my raggedy old front seal stuck down nicely for 2 years. I put a light coat of glue on the front poptop edge and let it set up (essentially a prime coat). I marked both mid-points again --- laid down another generous bead of glue on both the top and the bottom of the edge and pushed the front seal on. A cloth and some water took care of any excess glue (and I had it handy when I started the gluing). You'll find that this seal is also generously overlong --- don't trim it yet!

Luggage rack seal:

My Westy is an '84 (white top) and I think VW went to the coloured tops in '86 so this procedure may vary for 86 and up --- check your Bentley. You have to drop the back of the headliner first. Remove the two screws and one bolt that hold end cap onto the storage shelf above the stove/sink. Now remove the 7 (8?) little screws that hold the headliner to the roof. It should drop enough so you can slip your hand in. Raise your poptop and crawl up on your luggage rack and remove the 4 plastic caps covering the nuts and washers between the back of the luggage rack and the hole for the poptop (Now that I think about this you could do it through your open screened window in the poptop canvas).Now remove the nuts and washers --- you may or may not have to slip your hand above the headliner to prevent the boltheads from turning --- you will for sure when you go to re-tighten. Now remove the 4 large-headed slot screws from the outside of the luggage rack (one on each side and two at the front). I thought from the looks of these screwheads (rusty) that they'd be a PITA to remove; they came out easily though -- the threads inside were in fine shape.... Now close all the doors and windows to your Westy and get a helper to assist you in lifting down the luggage rack --- it's light but awkward. Why close the doors and windows??? --- I found that a rather astonishing amount of leaves and dirt had been lurking under the luggage rack for the last 15 years. Way too much of this garbage fell inside the open windows of my van. If you've got the thing off anyway you might want to replace your luggage rack tie-downs. This seal has the internal clip so grab your rubber mallet and go for it. Once you've got the seal on lift it into place and decide how you want the three seals to come together and from there you'll know where to trim the luggage rack seal --- I used a pair of good quality sidecutters to trim this seal -- they went through both the rubber and the internal metal clip nice and cleanly. Once you've trimmed the luggage rack seal; the re-install is pretty much the reverse. With your helper -- get the luggage rack seat on the four protruding bolts ahead of the poptop opening. Put the nuts and washers on very loosely --- enough just to keep from knocking the bolts back down. Now start the 4 large-headed screws in their respective holes. You'll find that if you shift the whole rack slightly (as needed) it is relatively easy to line them up and get them started. When they are all started --- tighten up the screws. Now tighten up the 4 nuts --- sliding your hand under the headliner to hold the bolts as necessary. Put the headliner/shelf-end back in place when you're done this.

With your luggage rack back in place --- now trim the remaining seals. A utility knife does the job on the front poptop seal. Now sit on the porch and have a beer --- well thats what I did anyway :-) (FWIW --- this was written 2 years ago and my seals are still perfectly in place. GDA March 2003 )