Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jun 2004 11:41:26 -0400
From:         John Wallace <jwallace@MSAD43.ORG>
Subject:      Starter or battery?

I just picked up an 88 Vanagon Wolfsburg 2 wd with 117K. It is a one owner van. Seems to run OK. But i do have some questions.

1. The starter turns the engine over slowly at first then cranks fast and it starts ok when the engine is cool. But when I drive it a distance on the turnpike and she warms up, she will barely turn over and sometime it won't. Is this common on these as I am not familiar with them but love the rig and it goes down the pike real smooth and gets 20mpg on the highway. How would I check to see if it's the starter or the battery?

If it is the starter, where can I purchase a Repair manual...it appears Haynes does not make one for the 85-91 Vanagon.

2. It also has some blow by oil that will spot the rear bumper/hatch if I take it on the pike for an hour or two 70mph drive....where might I look for oil leaks?

3. It has some rust through in the front foot wells...is this common? any other hidden areas I should look for? Where could I get body parts and correctly matched paint?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Wallace Rumford, ME