Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:02:18 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trip report--the big apple loved my big red van
Comments: To: Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>

Jim, What type of oil gets the credit for those glorious 197, 000 miles? without even a valve job.

Just curious (grin)

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: Jim Felder To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 12:50 PM Subject: Trip report--the big apple loved my big red van

Just got back from a trip from Alabama to New York and back, visiting daughter, moving nephew from Brooklyn to Manhattan, delivering folks to Islip airport, running all over manhattan and back. 2200 miles in all, including duty as a NY taxi every day, as well as three round trips to brooklyn via the BQE to move my nephew to the upper west side. The van was loaded to the roof for the three moving trips, hauling four full rooms of furniture and clothes.

I took five relatives with me to NY and back in my Red 1990 Carat, which ticked over 197000 on the trip (without so much as a valve job ever done to it). We drove 65-70 up and back. I couldn't detect that it used any oil at all.

All passengers agreed it was the best vehicle they ever saw for travel. The occupants were 13, 14, 54, 53 and 83. We got a "sharp" sign (raised index and little finger) from the kids skateboarding as I pushed through the crowd at Union Square. At my daughter's apartment, when I parked underground I was offered $2500 cash on the spot for my van (turned down of course), another time (different attendee) I heard the story of the beloved '84 Vanagon left behind in Jamaica when the owner came to new york. The next morning when I presented my parking receipt, the attendant asked me "are you the guy with the red van?" Word had spread. He asked me where he could go online to find one and I wrote down the URL for this list.

I saw a nice westy parked behind a restaurant on the way up, and saw a gold westy on Washington Square over the weekend in front of an NYU dorm, and one or two around town in NY traffic. Other than that, only a few eurovans all the way up and back, but no vanagons on the road.

Jim