Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:41:03 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: I don't like this Re: SA grille for sale.bidding update
Comments: To: Oxroad@AOL.COM

Jeff,

I agree with you, and I don't.

In this case, don't think of it so much as an auction as an OBO (Or Best Offer) situation. The seller is merely offering this deal to a smaller audience (thus it will probably bring a lower price) than if he placed it on eBay. There can be several reasons for doing this. It certainly is easier to just put up a post here. You don't need pictures here. You also give your fellow hard-core Vanagon enthusiasts an opportunity to get a great part at a good price.

I agree that most of the actual "dealing" should be taken care of via p-mail. We don't all need to see each and every bid. A periodic update, however, never hurts. After all, there always is the delete key.

I agree that in many (not all, or even most) cases, if it is a straight sale, a price should be included. however, there are so many esoteric items that one needs so rarely it difficult to determine what a fair market value is. I have a ton of parts sitting in my garage that I would have no idea how to price individually. Dealer price isn't always a good indicator. Sometimes you just have to say, "Make Me An Offer."

Each situation is different. I don't think we need to turn this into an auction site, but there is a long history of all types of commerce here. Different parts call for different selling strategies. Let each seller/list member decide what is best for their circumstance. Of course, while doing so, they should also consider how much bandwidth it will take up, and how much interest other list members will have in the item.

My 2¢.

Cheers, Bruce motorbruce