Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:06:42 -0400
From:         Gina <gg811@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      overheating or wacked out temp sensor?

my 1985 watercooled 1.9l has been in storage for 3 years (in my garage) had to have it towed to the mechanic, where he replaced waterpump, rotors and brakes. he had it for 2 months. i just paid a month's salary to get it back. it had no plates on it and the mechanic never took it out of his parking lot. HERE are my immediate problems. while driving home for the first time, the temp alert light started flashing and the temp gage starting climbing rapidly. i pulled over but it didnt seem like the engine was hot. i also couldnt hear any fan running. i let it "cool" and started out again with a low temp gage...all of a sudden the light starts blinking and up goes the temp gage again. i was forced to continue driving, even knowing i could be causing far worse problems, but had to keep going nonetheless. then bam, the light goes out, the temp needle goes straight down to just under half way. this continued, up and blinking, down and not for my whole drive home. Do you have any suggestions for me? i have no money left for the hungry mechanic. i can do a lot on my own if i have some guidance. Thank you. Gina