Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:44:52 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <jh_rodgers@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant - Have I screwd up my engine?
Comments: To: Gina <gg811@COMCAST.NET>

Do not use anti-freeze that has a phosphate in it. The reason is to avoid corrosion of the aluminum in the newer engines.

I use Texaco Havoline Phosphate Free Biodegradable Orange coolant mixed 50/50 coolant/water! I also a a couple of bottles of Redline Water Wetter.

From what I have been able to learn, the coolant level sensor circuit, upon turning on the ignition, samples the resistance at the coolant level sensor for a few moments. The coolant level warning light blinks a warning until the sampling is complete. If the resistance falls in the parameters engineered into the circuit, then the light goes out. If not, the light stays on, or it may come on during operation if the resistance changes suddenly, such as rupturing a hose and loosing all the coolant around the probes on the coolant level sensor. Coolant without sufficient water in it will cause the light to blink. Why?? Dense coolant doesn't cool nearly as well as coolant with the proper mix of water. So the system is set up to warn you of the danger.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver