Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:53:32 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      permanent fridge damage
Comments: cc: pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM

Jason wrote: >> has anyone really damaged their fridges by running it at an angle while camping or whatever? also how much of an angle is too much to be parked at?

You'll find some helpful info on these and similar fridges at http://rvmobile.com:8080/ (just click on "Guest" instead of logging in as a member) Go to "Cooling Units" > "Out of Level" for a brief conversation on running these on inclines.

As one poster states, the VW Owners Manual says you should not park on "gradients exceeding +/- 8 degrees".

The RV Mobile tech explains: "The reason out of level causes problems is that gravity returns liquids back to the boiler. If down hill pipes are no longer down hill, then the boiler dries up, over heats, and either burns the sodium chromate inside (plugging the boiler) or the pipe cracks. Just looking at the pipes of the cooling unit when it's out of level will show you how little it takes."

As I understand, this can happen a little at a time over the years, so a fridge can gradually 'die' from repeated off-level running. I use plastic Legos-style RV leveling feet like these http://www.lynxlevelers.com/. I usually only need 1-3 blocks on 1 or 2 wheels.

"OK, I'll leave it at that since I've already gone on for far too long about something I don't know a whole lot about ..."

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi" http://www.vanthology.com/