Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 2004 09:43:39 -0500
From:         "Phillips, Andrew" <phillips@ISGS.UIUC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: rasumfrasum Starter bolt!: case closed

Wait...are you telling me that.....yeah, well, I guess you are. Ah, the old bolt-through-the-tranny trick. Now that I've exposed my ignorance to the entire international community I'll just hide here under this rock for a bit.

Thanks to all, Drew

----Chris Dixon wrote:------ Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2004 6:40 PM To: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: rasumfrasum Starter bolt!

Drew, I just did this yesterday. Don't bother with the allen bolt. Follow the bolt from the starter thru your tranny to your motor -- it's about 6 inches long and is held on with a regular metric nut. You can get to the engine side of the bolt easily with a regular old socket wrench -- tho you'll probably have to take off your AFM and throttle body (easy). I didn't even have to hold the allen bolt wth a wrench to get the nut off. I was surprised when I did this job that the big maintenance book suggested undoing the cv. I found this unecessary. Chris Dixon

---------and Sam Walters wrote--------

For a number of jobs like this, I have had to use extensions between my ratchet and the socket so that the ratchet is positioned in a way that allows me to get torque and for it to rotate. I think this is a two extension job IIRC.

I have never removed the AFM or throttle body to do this job, but it might make it easier.

While I have done this a few times by myself, it would be easier with a helper to hold the open end socket in place while you did the Allen from

below.

Sam