Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Jun 2004 23:33:28 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      skylight lifter fix(ed) alt. idea

Thanks to Joel, Pius, Terry, Trevor, Dan, Alistair and Frank (hope I didn't miss anyone) for suggestions and pointers to url's to replace the rollers on the ends of the lifter arms.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/mods2.html http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/roller.htm

Instead of the bi-fold door top pivot guide, I used flanged nylon bushings. While in Ace Hardware looking at the former, all of the bins of hardware were behind me, so I started looking and found the latter. They come in various sizes, so I got two with the flange slightly larger than the enlarged hole at the end of the track and two smaller, shorter ones. The smaller ones fit tightly inside the larger ones and sort of give additional support to the larger flange. The inside diameter of the smaller one is also a better fit for the screw that holds it to the lift arm. I used a Dremel tool with small grinder wheel to shorten everything to the proper length. The Dremel melts the nylon rather than grinding it away, but same result. Found proper size screws in my parts bins and two nuts and star washer each to lock together. I will probably replace these with nylok nuts. Drilled out the original rivets in the ends of the arms, and attached the nylon bushings and it works great. Just need to remember before pulling into the garage, "down periscope, down skylight". Jerry in too-hot Arizona (not even Phoenix)