Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:50:20 -0400
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Solar panel information, archive searching, links, etc.
Comments: To: Dana Showers <dshowers@CPDS.NET>

Dana,

The archives are working just fine. A search for solar in posts since May 2004 found your post and several others.

There is information about solar installations and links on this in the archives. Search back in 6 month increments to avoid "timing out." Plus you might find all you need in a few short searches.

Now I saw your second message. I have a bookmark to:

http://gerry.vanagon.com/archives/vanagon.html

and from there click on "search the archives"

put "solar power" or "solar panel" or whatever will bring back some results, in the contents and since about Nov 2003 in the time slot. I usually use contents, rather than the subject line as this will bring back more results, but sometimes start with subject and then move to contents if I don't find enough.

Searching about 6 months to a year back at a time saves time for the search and limits what you have to read. Most problems are discussed in some detail once every year or so. Always try several different search terms as what you term you use may be the reason you don't get info, not the lack of info in the archives. Basic premise for all free form database searching. One of the first lessons they teach for using Lexis or Westlaw, etc.

And here are some links that I had bookmarked, but it is not all that will come from the archives. I thought I had more personal links, but might not have put them all in the solar power folder in my vanagon bookmarks, plus 2 individual pages had dead links.

http://members.fortunecity.com/davebaker1/westy/westy.htm

http://www.brunton.com/catalog.php - works somewhat imperfectly but search for solar and you get a few products

http://www.rvsolar.com/index.htm with lots of info and and on that page the link word volkswagen which leads to http://www.rvsolar.com/vanagon.htm

http://www.mrsolar.com/

http://www.solarelectricinc.com/

http://www.altenergystore.com/

West marine has some basic solar panels also, as does Harbor Freight.

If you find any other good links on this, particularly personal pages, please pass them back. My son and I go camping at astronomy club outings which are away from powered campgrounds to avoid lights and need to recharge the batteries during the day.

So far, I have just been thinking of a basic portable unit that would plug into the two cigarette lighter type sockets and recharge that way. My main concern will be the 2nd battery in my weekender as this is the one we would likely run down.

Sam

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL 85 Westy Weekender 84 Vanagon, original owner, soon to be retired, just too many problems

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.