Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Jun 2004 13:12:36 -0400
From:         Tom Spinoso <tspinoso@AMERICANTV.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire Report: 14" Firestone Affinity LH30
Comments: To: John Meeks <jmeeks@GASLIGHTMEDIA.COM>

OK even at the risk of being flamed... I am going to ask another question about tires.

My situation - a 91 carat with 195-75-14 LTX M&S Michelin tires. They have had it and need to be replaced. I have been searching for some time trying to figure out which way to go. Yes, Yes I have searched the archives many times over. Most of the recommendations are from westy owners loaded to the hilt with stuff and are heading into the back country safari. I am interested in a good highway tire that rides nice, has good road manners and is relatively quiet. No big trees to climb and I am not hauling 90 sheets of drywall (although I could.)

Perhaps I have found my answer when I saw John’s review (well done) on the

Firestone Affinity LH30. It looks reasonable. No one seemed to offer any information to the contrary so everyone concurs right?. Before I lay down the cash I would like some 2nd opinions. Because I have read researched this to death, I have now become somewhat paranoid about acquiring the 6 or 8 ply sidewall that many of you are recommending. As I researched this tire it appears to be a passenger tire, and not having “stiff” sidewalls. I am correct in this assumption? I this is correct, for my use should I care? Is going from a 195-75 to a 215-70 a big deal? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I know that this will drive some of you mad and I apologize for that. As the tire landscape has changed I haven’t seen anyone ask a question specific to my needs – which can’t be that much different from many wolfy and carat owners out there. Sorry for the long post.

"Chasin' Rainbows" - 91 Carat Tom