Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jun 2004 10:04:07 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Water temp guage and sender question
Comments: To: Ken Lewis <kdlewis_wasting_time@access4less.net>

Thanks Ken, what you are saying makes sense, Dead middle of the gauge sounds logical.

That said however, my 1.9 ran under the LED by at least a needle width about 1/3 up the dial. its nice to see it there too because it does not block the LED Light.

My Porsche at 180 runs at the lower 1/3 as well. I would say Europeans tend to go to 1/3 on the dial and Domestic is dead center and perhaps VW changed it along the way.

Others have also posted noticing a difference like this early to late model.

----- Original Message ----- From: Ken Lewis To: Doug in Calif Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 4:12 AM Subject: Re: [VANAGON] Water temp guage and sender question

Over the LED is the normal position for all Vanagons. Ken Lewis 86 Transporter Crew Cab 60 356 T-5 Porsche http://neksiwel.20m.com/ Vanagon tech, pixs, O2 monitor gadget ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug in Calif" <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 4:06 PM Subject: [VANAGON] Water temp guage and sender question

I recently was reading someplace and I cannot for the life of me find it again. That there were some differences in the water temp gauges and or the temp gauge senders from early to late years?

My 85 1.9 ran consistently at about 1/3 up the gauge and was a bit under the LED in the gauge and when warm would climb to the middle or a bit above. This 89 with the 80degree C. thermostat is still consistently running dead middle and climbs when getting on the hot side.

I have heard there were some changes. I am really used to my old 85 and like to see that needle down a bit lower for my reference.

Is it the gauge or sender I would change to get it to read lower on the gauge?

There was a post or web article I ran across that said you could change it back.

Any help is appreciated.

Related question.

This 89 has the AC in front of the radiator and it seems to run hotter much easier than my 1.9.

The fan almost NEVER came on in my 85 1.9 and I never heard it on high EVER other than when I tested it.

This 89 even with the AC off will kick on while driving around slow and will even kick up to HIGH which is almost embarrassingly loud in traffic.

My radiator flowed well but could it still be plugged up and not cooling? Anybody run a bigger radiator in the vanagon.?

Lastly, what about water wetter?

Thanks

Doug