Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:27:37 -0700
From:         Mad and Ed <MadEd@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Non-Family Hauler -Car SEATS
Comments: To: joe trussell <vanagongl@HOTMAIL.COM>

Car seats are a problem. I have researched this topic and found few options as the kids exceed 50#. It is now recommended that until kids reach 80# they should use belt positioning boosters. As you know, this is not an option for the Westy's like my '82.

I have found various harnesses and 5pt carseats. I am offering for sale an Evenflo rated to 60# now (25 and SHI) but the easiest to use option has to be the Britax "Husky". This is a robust, 5pt seat rated to 80# that looks like it could be used as an adults seat. It is approved for use with lap belt only though you are supposed to tether it when the kids are over 50#. A thether can easily be added to the back of the bench seat. It should be possible to retrofit the new universal seat LATCH system though you would be the engineer on that. VW could (probably would not) not provide any guidance on this, I checked with VWoA on this.

Our girl is happy to use her "big girl" seat and I feel confident to recommend it as the seat of choice for toddler and up. These seats are pricey, $235 retail but are often on Ebay at ~ $185, this from parents whose kids rebel. If the kids rebel at the idea of a bigger car seat, well that is really a matter of indoctrination. Parents can sell the idea of the "big boy-girl" seat or you can just do the no seat-no go threat, that is up to the parent- but they should really really be in a seat of some kind. We have a shoulder belt that I will instal "one of these days". Until then, and after, the Husky is our choice for child safety.

On Thursday, Jun 3, 2004, at 05:12 US/Pacific, joe trussell wrote:

> With a carseat in the middle back of the 4Runner, the front seats > could not > be moved completely back.

> I've read in the archives of people retrofitting shoulder belts in to > the > rear seats in older vanagons. That will probably be what we do. Or, > if it > becomes apparent that the Vanagon doesn't suit our needs, we'll bit the > bullet and find something that will. If fatherhood has taught me > anything > thus far, it's that I gotta be flexible... > > Joe T. > '85GL > >> From: "Aristotle Sagan" <killer_jupiter@hotmail.com> >> Nope, no way. The kids like the 84 van but ya know, no shoulder >> belts, no >> rides. As soon as the kids were out of baby seats, the van became a >> extra.

Edward Lowe Seattle, WA 82 Westy Diesel upgraded to 1.9lt. Turbo 85 Golf Diesel 1.6lt NA 92 Cabrio 1.8lt gas 97 Passat Tdi