Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:36:36 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil filters

About the time I got on this list, I made a long trip out of town after driving only locally for a year or more. During that time I decided that doing my own oil changes just wasn't worth it, and I started using a quick-change service. Besides the horror stories I could tell you about how little they know about the vanagon and how much damage can come from that lack of knowledge, the upshot is that I got away from german filters made for the vanagon (with an oil return check valve) and I got away from Castrol 20W50 which I had always used when I was maintaining the oil.

I left on the trip for NY in august loaded with about 1000 lbs of stuff and passengers. At one point I had to slam on brakes and the the oil buzzer went off. When I pulled into a rest area, the lifters were so loud that I had to plan on how to abort the trip at that point. When I got to ny and parked for three days, the lifters clacked for half an hour.

When I got back, they clacked anytime the van was left for more than a few days without running.

Then I saw the oil discussions on this list. I had never realized the importance of the OEM-style filters, either. So I went back to 20W50 and bosch filters. I've made two trips to NY since then, and no clacking, even with the van parked for three weeks.

Unless you're going to sell the van tomorrow and you don't care what happens to it and the new owner, don't cut corners on the oil filter and oil. Others may recommend different/better oils, but don't let anyone talk you into a purolator filter or any other filter besides a Mann or Bosch.

It just isn't worth it.

Jim