Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:43:56 -0700
From:         Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dual-Battery Question
Comments: To: Fin Beven <FinBeven@MSN.COM>

Fin, I have found the two batteries will fight on another and deteriorate.

Any un equal difference will constantly pull on one and push the other to hold more which eventually made them both go bad prematurely..

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: Fin Beven To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 5:14 PM Subject: Re: Dual-Battery Question

For years I have linked my two (identical) batteries with a solid run of 4 ga. wire, with crimped-on terminals at both ends. This effectively turns the two batteries into one LARGE battery. What's critically important is to use VERY high quality wire and terminals. If you have access to marine grade (West Marine on the Internet) I think that it's worth the price, as they assume that their equipment will be used in a very harsh electronic environment (salt air).

This is not a recommendation, but no problems have resulted. However, I do have a good quality volt-meter that can be left on when the batteries are being used but the engine charging system is not (as when camped overnight). I'm just cautious not to let the voltage drop below 11.8 in moderate weather.

Fin Beven '90 Carat, Custom Camper Conversion Pasadena, CA ----- Original Message ----- From: Joe Federici To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 11:10 AM Subject: Re: Dual-Battery Question

I wouldn't consider it safe but to each his own. That said if your going to do it I would use as large around 6 gauge or better and fuse it for sure it won't take much to over charge the battery and really BAD stuff can happen one you reach that point.

The isolator or relay setup isn't that had to do maybe you could take it with you and hook it up on vacation?

JFF