Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:09:51 -0700
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Volkswagen part numbers

-----Original Message----- From: Todd Last <Rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET> Sent: May 29, 2004 4:26 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Volkswagen part numbers

see: http://www.ffp-motorsport.com/tuning/vwparts.php

Vehicle type (vvv):

155 = Convertible 171 = Golf I 161 = Jetta I 165 = Jetta II 191 = Golf 261 = 16V GTI 531 = Scirocco I 535 = Scirocco II ******************* I'll have to disagree with the website link in regards to 261 = 16V GTI. 261 is the model number for Type 2 Single Cab Pickups from 1950 thru 1979 (replaced by 245 in the Vanagon series in 1980). Scirocco II is actually 533 as well.

The first digit indicates the VW Type. 1 = Type 1 (Beetle, K Ghia, Thing and assorted Watercooled Passenger Cars). 2 = Type 2 (Buses, Vanagons, Commercial Vehicles EXCEPT Eurovan). 3 = Type 3 (Notchback, Fastback, Squareback Passenger Cars). 4 = Type 4 (411/412 "abortions"). 7 = Eurovan

Here's some Vanagon specific Model Numbers:

251 = Vanagon (Basic) 253 = Vanagon Deluxe (Also Westfalia 80-85) 255 = Vanagon Deluxe (Also Westfalia 86-91) 245 = Vanagon Single Cab PU 247 = Vanagon Double Cab PU

025 is generally for the drivetrain parts (angine, trans, etc.,) for the Vanagon, but there will be exceptions to the rule. 070 is another one that's used (individual engine bearings for the waterboxer for instance).

Another thing to remember is that the first 3 digits of the part number does not necessarily mean it was installed on that Type. I've run across this several times when buying and selling parts over the past 30 years.

Jim Thompson 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" http://www.oldvolkshome.com oldvolkshome@earthlink.net