Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:53:22 -0400
From:         -- Dan Roberts <danielcroberts@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: Re: safe speeds, underpowered engines,
              Vanagon diesel mortality (LVC, some Friday content)
Comments: To: Eric Zeno <vw4x4@FYI.NET>

I wish this issue was as funny as we'd like it to be. Unfortunately, road rage and the terror of guys in muscle cars or big trucks is too scary to be funny. Having big trucks and muscle cars sit on my rear bumper at 70mph has become routine. I try to get out of the way ASAP but these guys, and sometimes gals, have become a dangerous part of 21st century America.

Deaths and injuries on our highways are increasing rather than decreasing because of this situation. I love traveling in my Vanagon but I take regular precautions to minimize these threats to my safety: I stay in the right lane whenever possible; I do not drive more than 5mph over the speed limit; when someone rides my rear bumper, I get out of the way, even if it means pulling off the roadway at a safe spot; I never make eye contact with threatening drivers and I never respond to hand gestures, mouthing of threats, etc.;and, if all else fails, I do call 911 and report my location and describe the threatening driver.

Again, I love to travel and I don't let these ignorant drivers spoil my day but I am careful with them. Don't let one of these people goad you into behaving like they do.