Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:45:00 -0400
From:         tmiller <tmiller@VCMAILS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic oils in the vanagon
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

Doug in Calif wrote:

> [...]

>I have torn down hundreds of air cooled beetle engines, which were driven and abused as hard as any engine, several Porsche engines, and now a few waterboxer engines. >I have inspected EVERY PART in these engines, where is this advantage? The main, cam and rod bearings?, the rings or cylinder walls? the cam followers? the valve guides? Where is this "magical" lack of wear ? >I do not see it. > The idea is to get equal or better wear with 1/5th the oil changes or better. I used AMSOIL 15W-40 in my Rabbit diesel and had oil analysis check for wear metals and to advise when I should change the oil. Every 7500 miles I sent a 4 oz. sample to Cleveland Technical Center. They always came back with oil good for continued use and much lower wear particles in the oil. They finally told me to change the oil at 40,000 miles due to the viscosity approaching 15W-50 from soot buildup and winter approaching. Wear particles did not rise at all. I put 300,000 on that car and sold it to a friend of mine. It is still running. Consider how much less oil we would need from Saudi Arabia if we all practiced long drain intervals safely! After that, I just changed it every year which was about 25K miles with a filter change in between. My fuel economy did not change, but at 50 MPG, how would I notice a small % increase?

>If you think you can get more mileage out of oil changes because you use synthetic you are doing FAR MORE damage to your engine and you wrongfully think you are benefiting. You WILL see the wear on the bearings from not keeping engine oil as clean as possible at all times. > >Combustion carbon particles get in the oil regardless of if you are using synthetics or not, so now we are comparing dirty synthetic to fresh clean dino oil. >I will go with clean "approved rated for my vehicle" oil. > Very true. The idea is to remove particles under 5 micrometers so there is not contact when flowing between the tight bearing clearances. Particles in the 15-20 micrometer range do the most damage. Diesel soot is 0.2 micrometers and less so they don't affect wear unless permitted to form deposits. Proper detergent/dispersent additives prevent that. This is why good filtration is a must with any lubricant. Sythetics can be filtered to finer particle sizes because they do not contain the wax and parrafins that restrict flow in petroleum oils. Big rigs use a large bypass oil filter that filters finer than that to permit use of the oil far beyond 25,000 miles. With synthetics, bypass filtering, and oil analysis, they can go 100,000 miles between changes with no problem. The resultant reduced engine wear allows them to extend in frame overhauls from 275,000 miles to 500,000 miles or more. I've seen it done.

If you change your synthetic every 3-5 thousand miles now you are spending ALLOT more cash than me over 100K miles.

This is what the oil companies want you to do because their oil additives won't go any further. With synthetics, that is not a limitation. 3 times dino drain intervals are conservative as a result. I bet I spend much less than you on vanagon lubrication with my synlubes. And I don't generate 5-8 times the waste oil that needs to be imported and then recycled when changed each year.

>Vanagons do not suffer from lubrication or oil problems that synthetics are the answer for, they are overkill in the vanagon are and not needed period. > They seem to be tough little machines. But the advantages are even longer life between rebuilds and less oil used. That sells it for me.

>Buy yourself some spare head gaskets and retorque your heads every 40-50K and you will be doing ALLOT more for your engine life. >Save your money or put it towards what you will really get something back from, like perhaps another vanagon, new suby motor. 15inch wheels or flowers for your gal. > That is something you will be able to do if you use synthetic lubes. Instead of spending $1500+ for an engine rebuild, buy her a better diamond ring!

>You will be rebuilding your engine in the same amount of time as if you kept regular clean oil in your rig. >If you run your oil dirty you will be rebuilding sooner regardless. > NOT! Wear particles in the oil prove otherwise.

Just one mans opinion,

>You guys can have the last word, spend your cash on whatever puts a smile on your face. > >Doug - Taking Dino toCostco to buy another couple cases of Chevron Supreme "dinosaur" oil > Somebody needs to keep them in business. You will one day soon find that you are the last man using it. Already, ATF standards have exceeded what dino ATF can manage. New API standards for motor oils are getting tighter and tighter and the "big three" are starting to use Mobil 1 at factory fill. The Corvette is a good example. Many manual transmissions and differentials use synthetic gear lubes "filled for life", like my 96 VW Cabrio automatic. It came rom Germany with their synthetic ATF. There isn't a drain plug on the transmission!!

If anyone wants to see the oil analysis report on my 81 Rabbit, drop me an email and I will send a .pdf of it to you. They also check for silicon (bad air filter), water and glycol (coolant leaks), fuel dilution (leaking injectors), viscosity and additive chemistry changes indicating when it is time to change the oil.

My 50 cents worth of experience since 1985. Tom Miller