Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:41:22 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Fridge blowing out. Where to seal air leaks

When I was fighting this battle I went to extreme measures to insure the combustion air loop was totally sealed. I was also getting some odors inside the van when running on propane that I wasn't sure about. I thought they might be exhaust. I took the fridge out and everything looked good and sealed. Took combustion chamber apart, all seals looked good. Now it gets weird. I sealed up all the holes in the system except the actual exhaust pipe. I armed myself with a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Then I got my sweetie to wrap her lips firmly around the exhaust pipe to make a good seal, and blow. I took the soapy water and sprayed everywhere that I thought a leak might occur. I found them at the various openings of the combustion chamber that I thought were well sealed. Sweetie confirmed that air was going somewhere when she was blowing. I took the combustion chamber apart and added a little high temp silicon sealer to all the seals that were leaking. This sealed it up good. Afterwards sweetie reported air was no longer disappearing when she blew into the system.

I can't say that something else might have happened during my R & R procedure that might have improved things with my fridge on propane system, but I can say this: Before this endeavor it was hard to light the fridge and it blew out when driving. Now it is easy to light the fridge, and doesn't blow out on the hwy at 75 mph, in the car wash, etc. Just went 3 days and over 500 miles on propane the whole time, never a stumble. Now if it would only keep the fridge really cold in hot weather!

Edward