Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:42:07 -0700
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 1.9 failed smog
Comments: To: Joseph Fortino <fortino1@earthlink.net>

I changed about a half-dozen parts to try and get my van to pass SMOG. I also took it to Fred's Garage in Redwood City twice (not really satisfied with the service there).

In the end, I put a brand new catalytic converter on and got it real hot by driving on the freeway, then went to the SMOG tester. It passed on the third attempt.

Stuff I swapped out that had no effect on the emissions, but might be the source of a problem on your vehicle: - 4 spark plugs - 4 injectors - new set of plug wires - distributor rotor and cap - set timing - set valves - adjusted fuel-air mixture on AFM - 2 lifters - oxygen sensor

I suggest you try a new cat. I will probably buy a new cat before my next SMOG check even before I fail. Other people have passed SMOG with just a timing adjustment.

Would be easier if there were an cheap way to buy an exhaust analyzer for home use.

BTW, the nice people on the vanagon list is the only reason that the my van still moves. The vanagon community is as much value to me as the van is at this point. I had no idea of what I was getting myself into when I bought the vehicle. It's kind of fun to keep it running, possibly in the same way that running a marathon is kind of fun but also kind of painful.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:34:38 -0700, Joseph Fortino <fortino1@earthlink.net> wrote: > > Hello all maybe someone can help with my failed smog test and some things > that I can do to maybe get to PASS. He said it was rich? > > Nevada State: 85 1.9l van > > Numbers Below. > > (HC ppm) ( CO% ) CO2 O2% RPM > <- Limit Reading <- Reading result result result > 2500 + 300 220 220 FAIL 1.20 8.44 FAIL 18.10 0.3 2604 > Idle 775+425 220 560 FAIL 1.20 8.82 FAIL 16.10 4.5 948 > > Thanks Much > Joe >