Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Jun 2004 23:13:55 -0400
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: extended trip hygene

I recommend two "doormats" - one for the ground outside the van to get off the worse of the mud and leaves and stuff, a second inside the door which is easier to pull out and shake off than the whole carpet.

If you can do it, I'd also recommend not eating in your van. At least nothing with crumbs or powdered sugar! Helps keep out infestations of ants and things (which I have, alas :-). Also lots of big ziplock bags, they are great for open food, also for keeping maps dry, and storing most anything else. And throw out the trash constantly - helps keep bugs down too.

Lots and lots of small cheap clamps (available at Home Depot, auto supply places, etc.) to hang stuff from the poptop bar, the ledges, etc. - gets it out of your way (that's for tidiness, not cleanliness). I regularly hang wet towels and bathing suits, garbage bag, dirty laundry bag, and anything else that's in my way.

I like having big zippered mesh bags - for clothes, dirty laundry, etc. Whether you need those depends on how much clothes you're bringing. Since I have all of mine in the van, I accumulate dirty laundry, things that aren't clean enough to put back in the drawer but not dirty enough for the laundry, etc.

I stay at campgrounds and take showers and do laundry regularly - so personal cleanliness is much as at home. You might consider a sun shower, though, and perhaps rig up some way to have a shower curtain off the back of the van, if you're not going to be in campgrounds.

Have fun!

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy