Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:39:41 -0400
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      hot starter isues

ok heres the beginning. I have a newly acquired 1980 AC vanagon.

now that it's finally getting close to summer here in upstate NY I have the "hot start syndrome'

ok NO PROBLEM, i have the wonderful article/diagram from http://www.oldvolkshome.com/ Article: http://www.oldvolkshome.com/hardstart.pdf

anyways. I can hear my relay clicking but the starter don't give a hoot.. on the topic of relays.. I used a used off the shelf fog lamp relay.. but I was wondering on the use of lawn tractor starter relays? Ford style automotive solenoid (or would have similiar current issue as the stock solenoid?

now is it a lack of voltage/amperage on the positive battery cable connection to the starter? it is a LONG cable from battery to starter. is it a iffy braided wire from the solenoid into the starter body? (looked suspect) is it a old tired starter windings that don't like the heat? or my ign circuit wire+connector that was tough to disconnect and rusty ( i attempted to clean with a swab of acid base cleaner)

to complicate the heat issue, the passanger side heat duct from the 'by-pass valve??' is disconnected letting the HOT heat air out in the area over the tranny but that shouldn't be a problem while tooling down the road?? as there'd be a lot of air current to dissapate that hot air?

in all because it's a heavy vehicle to push start and I would like to take it on trips farther then my AAA will get me home on. It looks like it'll be getting a NEW starter. and use the old one in my engine stand.

thanks for listening to me think outloud.

Dan Stevens 1976 baja 2.0L 1980 AC vanagon ASI riveria