Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:51:16 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] Re: Why are campers higher at the rear?
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

My '85 Westy is substantially higher in the front. My '84 7 passenger is lower in the front. Go figure.

Mike

Simon. Good pic, really shows the spoiler does work!

The front end does look lower on the westy.

Could the extra battery and seat swivels make that much difference?

The center bench seat in the 7 passenger is no lightweight either.

Doug

----- Original Message ----- From: Simon Reinhardt To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 4:23 PM Subject: Re: [Syncro] Re: Why are campers higher at the rear?

Sure, the winch may be a factor (don't get me started on the way the P.O. mounted that!), but what about the other campers I've seen with a similar inclination? I'm sure the extra weight of the cabinets will compress everything, but I would expect a more even keel, especially since the fronts can't be substantially weaker/more compressible than the rears, given that the Vanagon's main cargo area is the middle. I've loaded that camper down heavily before- all in the middle- and the rear settled more than the front. "But Simon, the rears are stiffer than the fronts because of the engine's weight!"- No, stiffness and height are not necessarily entwined. Here, look at this:

http://www.farrside.net/vanagon/windtests.jpg

Notice the Westy is the only one with a tilt?

-Simon