Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:13:11 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alignment Question
Comments: To: rdawson@UOGUELPH.CA

Ryan,

As long as the alignment was done properly, it shouldn't be a problem. It simply could have been a matter of not having the steering wheel absolutely straight when the alignment was perform. In other words, the wheels could be properly aligned, but the steering wheel isn't "aimed" properly.

Try to find a very, very flat straight, smooth road. Flat and smooth are the key, as most roads are crowned and the center of the road (left side when you are driving) is higher than at the gutter. If you find a flat, smooth surface, drive your van across it and very carefully lift your hands from the steering wheel (keep them close by the wheel - don't hang them out the window or be reaching in your pockets or anything). Does the van continue in a straight line or does it pull to one side?

If it continues in a straight line, I believe you are O.K. (if I'm wrong here, someone else chime in and set me straight). If you are pulling to one side or the other on a flat smooth surface with the van evenly loaded and all tire pressures set properly, you probably have an alignment problem.

If you are going straight with no hands on the wheel but the steering wheel is aimed to one side, the fix is relatively easy. You simply remove the steering wheel (it is held on with one big nut) and reaim it.

If you just need to reaim, drive into your driveway and make sure that your front wheels are pointed absolutely straight ahead. Next remove the steering wheel.You might need a breaker bar and an assistant to hold the wheel. The steering wheel is held in place on splines. Mark the position of the wheel, then pull it off. Now, put the wheel back on with it pointed straight ahead. Put the nut back on to hold the wheel in place. I suggest using blue Loctite on the nut.

My steering wheel is just a bit off right now because I took it off to lubricate the electrical contact ring for the horn. When I put it back on I got it a few degrees off. I hadn't marked it before removal.

Hopefully your alignment is in good shape. You can now either correct the position of the steering wheel, or you can go on your trip and just resign yourself to the fact the the steering wheel isn't absolutely straight. Once you return home from your trip you can reaim the wheel then if you want.

If I missed any steps (this is a pretty easy process), I encourage other list members to speak up and correct me.

Have a great trip.

Cheers, Bruce motorbruce