Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:53:57 -0400
From:         Daniel Erlandson <danoer1@ECLIPSE.NET>
Subject:      Re: PLEASE HELP!!!.... TIMING ISSUES ON NEW ENGINE
Comments: To: jesse johnson <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET>

Jesse,

I had similar problems after my head gasket replacement last year. I am no expert and got mucho help from the list, but here is what I remember and can tell you (let's assume that this is a test for my and so don't jump on me for anything I say wrong just correct me!) Bentley's picture for the rotor is definitely not correct for my 91 GL, so assuming that your 88 (?) is similar then at TDC the rotor should line up with the notch in the distributor body which on my Van is the lower right hand quadrant as you are standing at the back of the van. That should correspond with the spark plug wire that goes to cylinder #1 which is on the passenger side closest to the firewall. If you crank the engine by hand 180 degrees clockwise the distributor will rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise to cylinder #4. So the rotor will now be facing the lower left quadrant of the distributor body, and should be pointing to the wire that goes to cylinder #4 which is on the driver's side farthest from the firewall. Another 180 degree clockwise crank and the rotor is now pointing to the upper left quadrant (180 degrees away from where it was at TDC and note that you TDC mark will again be visible and be lining up with the crankcase seam, but this isn;t TDC!) This is for cylinder #3 (driver's side nearest firewall). One more 180 crank and rotor is now pointing to the upper right hand quadrant, cylinder #2 (passenger side farthest from firewall). One more 180 degree crank and you are back to where you started. Hope this helps, and the list will tell you if I got it all right.

Dan Erlandson Flemington, NJ 1991 Vanagon GL 183k 1999 Passat 1.8L 133k