Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:25:57 -0700
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: PLEASE HELP!!!.... TIMING ISSUES ON NEW ENGINE
Comments: To: jesse johnson <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET>

It sounds like the distributor drive gear didn't get dropped into the crankcase correctly.

What you want to do is get a cylinder - any cylinder really - at TDC of the compression stroke and then look at where your distributor rotor is pointing, i.e., which cylinder it's getting ready to "fire." You can then remove the distributor, with the rotor still pointing at the same place, and check the orientation of the distributor drive dog. Compare that to the orientation of the distributor drive gear and you know how you need to adjust it.

Remove all the spark plugs so you can easily turn the engine over by hand. I find it easiest to get #4 at TDC of the compression stroke because I can stand at the rear of the vehicle, turn the engine over by hand, and watch the action of the #4 piston and valves through the spark plug hole. (Use a flashlight to see what's going on down at the bottom of the spark plug hole.) Turn the engine over a few times and you'll find you can see the piston move up to TDC and then back down. You can move the engine back and forth and watch the piston move over TDC. If you turn the engine over several times you can also watch the valves move "down" (i.e., toward the crank) and back up. At one point the piston will be at TDC with the exhaust valve open. At another point the piston will be at TDC with the valves closed; this is TDC of the compression stroke.

If you have someone to help you can do this on the #1 cylinder - which is probably the safest thing to do if you're unsure of what's going on - but I find it harder to see well down the #1 spark plug hole. --------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Young '81 Vanagon Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia --------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Original Message ----- From: "jesse johnson" <jjmojo@BLAZENET.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 5:49 PM Subject: PLEASE HELP!!!.... TIMING ISSUES ON NEW ENGINE