Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:48:31 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: New Vanagon Owner!
Comments: To: Khyle Hamilton <winged@TIGERDEN.COM>

Hi Kyle,

Welcome aboard. I think you'll find this list both enjoyable and necessary to vanagon ownership. The traffic is such that you should probably set up a Vanagon List folder and have your vanagon mail automatically sorted to it.

In that the van is new to you, I'd do as much "Routine" stuff as possible before doing a whole lot of driving.

This includes changing the fuel filter (may be part of your problem), checking all fluids, changing the oil and filter making sure you use a Mann or Mahle filter and either 20w 50 dino oil or 15w 50 synthetic, and generally inspecting the whole machine. The fluid checks include the transmission. If its an automatic, the ATF fluid is one check and the final drive oil is another.

Changing the anti-freeze every 2 years or less is important to keep down corrosion. Even though the coolant mixture may still prevent freezing, it loses its corrosion inhibitors. The anti-freeze must be phosphate free. Bleeding the coolant system properly cannot be over stressed.

Just curious .... during those times you've lost power, have you tried removing the gas cap to see if a vacuum had formed in the tank?

Mike Houlton, Maine '84 GL 7 pass automatic '85 GL Westy 4 speed