Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jun 2004 16:12:22 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Blown engine: Update

Well, it's pretty much as I expected. The dealership called me back and said that the first thing they checked was to see if there was any oil in it. I had 6 people, here and elsewhere, ask me that very same question when I told them what happened. There was actually oil in the engine. They also said that, had there not been oil in it, the engine would have more likely seized than thrown a rod. They said that the connecting rod bolts had sheered off and that had caused the thrown rod. He told me that their service manager had gone out and looked at it and that's what he said to tell me. He also said, and I was expecting this, that it's not surprising that an engine with almost 148,000 miles would do this. He was of course somewhat surprised when I told him that this engine had been put in at 111,000 miles, but said that whoever had done the engine before had probably not replaced the connecting rod bolts. I told him that I'd likely be talking to his service manager about this but to go ahead and get prices for me.

I'm not through pursuing things on this end, but I'm not too optimistic at this point.

Sigh . . . Marc Perdue

PS--I'm in Crozet, near Charlottesville, Virginia, if you know of a really great engine in the area . . . or a good lawyer . . . ;^)