Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:31:42 -0400
From:         John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Blown engine: Update
Comments: To: Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>

Marc,

We bought our van from Charlottesville and the PO donated a lot of $$ to a dealer around there. I can't comment on their work, but remember that he didn't think the dealer really wanted to work on it.

Someone else on the list can comment about whether low oil would throw a rod or not, but I'd say caution is best now. Any shop in this situation should not be trusted until you have a second (or third) opinion from someone who a) isn't going to make $$ off you and b) isn't potentially liable to you.

Low oil *should* have caused the light/buzzer to come on. You can do the basic check and turn the key one click to see if the light even works. IIRC, however, that light comes on when you've already gotten into the danger zone.

Thought on lawyers: if you drag them into court, you'll be responsible for proving the engine was in good shape and was replaced when you said. You may also have to convince someone that low oil was the reason of failure -- due to them not putting any/enough in. If that case has a couple quarts in it then you're in a tough spot. Good sopt for you is that the dealer overcharged you for oil if you paid for 6 quarts!

Thought on replacements: unless they are willing to cover costs for a new engine, you're better off finding a local shop that *knows* Vanagons and have them do the work. The dealer will get a new engine from their network and it will be $$$$$$. Get a rebuild from BusDepot / Boston Bob / AVP and save cash for your retirement :)

Last thought: Many dealers don't like these vans or want to work on them. NOT all are like that, however. My local dealer in Virginia Beach has done good work and gets excited when one shows up. Last time we had our westy inspected they had one in the bay and another outside waiting to be picked up. The shop is Checkered Flag and they are very meticulous and charge the same rate as the local independents. I also know of a couple good places in Richmond.

Good luck with your van and let us know what happend.